Daguerreotype of the Alamo Chapel of San Antonio de Valero Mission.
This daguerreotype, estimated production date of 1849, is the earliest know documentation of the Alamo Chapel of San Antonio de Valero Mission. It is also presumed to be the earliest extant photographic image made in Texas. Showing the exterior facade of the chapel ruins, it is the only known photographic view of the Alamo made prior to its reconstruction in 1850. The photographer of this daguerreotype is unknown. It is likely that it was given by Edward Miles, a local Bexar County official in the late 1840s and 1850s, to a family named Batterson of New England. It remained in private hands until it was sold to Governor Briscoe, who donated it to the Briscoe Center in 1993. Photograph shows the front of the chapel ruins with three figures standing in front of it near the entrance. It is in a dark brown or dark red leather case with embossed design of a pattern with berries and circles and diamonds on it. There is a small metal hook clasp to close the case.
2.75 x 3.125 in (6.99 x 7.96 cm)
Place of Origin
San Antonio (Bexar County, Tex.)
Caption / Inscription / Signature
Written on the inside of case underneath the photograph is "From/ Edward Miles/ San Antonio, Texas/ 1849"
Artisan or Artist
Objects Facet -- Visual and Verbal Communication (Hierarchy Name) -- Visual Works (Hierarchy Name) -- visual works (works) -- photographs -- positives (photographs) -- direct positives -- daguerreotypes
Communication Artifacts -- documentary artifacts -- graphic documents -- photograph -- positive, direct -- daguerreotype
visual works -- photographs -- daguerreotypes (direct positives)
Governor Dolph Briscoe Alamo Daguerreotype, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Local Resource Number
Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin
For information about reproductions or permissions, please contact the Briscoe Center, email@example.com or 512-495-4555.