A handmade compass/transit consists of a magnetized needle inside of a wooden box. A green piece of paper surrounds the compass as decoration, on top of a brownish cardboard piece on which the degrees are handmarked. The needle is tied on with string. The compass uses Magnetic North. The body is rough wood in an oval shape. The levels are glass, held down with screws and a piece of thick cardpaper. One level is vertical, one horizontal. Made by the Reverend James Peeler (1817-1890s,) inventor of the Peeler Plow (donor's grandfather.) Peeler used it to survey his land in Milam County. Part of set with tripod, rod and chain.
L. 40.8 x W. 22.8 x H. 6.2 - 10 cm (L. 16 x W. 8.9 x H. 2.4 - 3.9 in)